Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 09:47:48 +0930 (CST)
From:      Jarrod <hostmaster@mtloftyhistsoc.asn.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Uncontrolable Rebooting 4.0-R

Hi,

Using a 4.0-R base system with IPFIREWALL compiled into the kernel.
Around every second day, this machine reboots for no reason.  Im not at
work when the machine reboots or I am and im too late.  No error messages
appear in /var/log/messages so I cant explain why.  Is there any way of
dumping messages sent to the console to a /var/log/console file so I can
flick through it?

On another matter that may or may not be related, when the machine boots
up, the following appears at the bottom of the screen and dmesg.

ad0: 4125MB <FUJITSU MPC3043AT> [8940/15/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0-master: WARNING: WAIT_READY active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
ata0-master: timeout waiting for command=ef s=00 e=00
ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
ata0: resetting devices .. done
WARNING: / was not properly dismounted

It wasnt properly dismounted as the machine has rebooted thismorning.
This reboot was quick, printing everything above, on other ocassions the
'ad0: READ command timeout - resetting' flashes on the screen 750+ times
(according to the 'last message repeated xxx times' in /var/log/messages).

Whats the cause of all this?

Cheers,

Jarrod

--
Jarrod Sayers (hostmaster@mtloftyhistsoc.asn.au)

Information Technology Manager
Mount Lofty Districts Historical Society, Inc.
http://www.mtloftyhistsoc.asn.au/