Date:      29 Dec 1998 11:07:06 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /var/run vs. /var/db difference?

Running FreeBSD-2.2.8-STABLE. What's the difference between the
/var/run and /var/db? What are they intended for? I couldn't find the
answer in a quick search of the handbook but maybe I missed some map
of filesystems and intended uses.

My /var/run has various .pid files but also a dev.db,
ld.so.hints, utmp. This looks mostly temporary.

/var/db has my dhcpd.leases, kvm_kernel.db, locate.database,
mountdtab. This looks somewhat more permanent.

I've built Amanda (network backup) and want to know where is best to
store its database of machines, filesystems, dump levels, and
tapes. This needs to be preserved across machine boots.

Thanks.