Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 1996 10:01:34 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Neal Westfall <nwestfal@Vorlon.odc.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problems with 960801-SNAP

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Neal Westfall wrote:

> I am having trouble getting mountd to read my exports file
> properly, and I don't have a clue what is wrong with it.
>
> Here is my exports file:
>
> #The following examples export /usr to 3 machines named after ducks,
> #/home and all directories under it to machines named after dead rock stars
> #and, finally, /a to 2 privileged machines allowed to write on it as root.
> #/usr                huey louie dewie
> #/home   -alldirs    janice jimmy frank
> #/a      -maproot=0  bill albert
> #
> # You should replace these lines with your actual exported filesystems.
> /home/business	vorlon
> /home/resell	vorlon
>
> But mountd always complains with this:
>
> Sep 27 17:41:22 narn mountd[83]: Can't change attributes for /home/resell.
> Sep 27 17:41:22 narn mountd[83]: Bad exports list line /home/resell	vorlon
> Sep 27 17:42:01 narn mountd[83]: Can't change attributes for /home/resell.
> Sep 27 17:42:01 narn mountd[83]: Bad exports list line /home/resell	vorlon
> Sep 27 17:42:31 narn mountd[83]: Can't change attributes for /home/resell.
> Sep 27 17:42:31 narn mountd[83]: Bad exports list line /home/resell	vorlon
> Sep 27 17:42:46 narn mountd[83]: Can't change attributes for /home/resell.
> Sep 27 17:42:46 narn mountd[83]: Bad exports list line /home/resell	vorlon
>
> Any ideas what is wrong?  Help is appreciated.

Isn't it possible that there is only the /home filesystem and the
/home/business and /home/resell are not separate filesystems but just
subdirectories? If so, the command above "seems" (I have not tested) to
export /home - and with the second line, you are instructing it to
reexport it. It would be real good if you could export any directory
you like and be not limited to mountpoints, as the situation seems to be.

	Sander