Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2000 09:06:04 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: license (no longer Re: uptimes, Woo Hoo)

It appears to me, at least from a business standpoint, that the BSDL is the
free-est of all in that all it requires of the licensee is recognition of the
source of the work.  I think that's why Apple's used it for it's upcoming Mac OS
X.  They can use the FreeBSD source and still not be required to ship source with
their product.  That way they can keep whatever fancy stuff they've done to it
private and keep a competitive advantage.  Not very cool from a GPL, Open Source
standpoint, but I'm sure Apple likes it.  I thought I heard a rumor that Apple has
contributed some source back to the FreeBSD project, but that's just hearsay.

--
PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware