Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 20:14:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Andrew Sherrod <ixkatl@yahoo.com>
To:        Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann@verio.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Oracle,

Question: Am I stupid enough to dive into a potential
flame war?
Answer: Apparently so.

Just to correct the statement about MySQL not being of
production grade... My current employer uses both
Oracle and MySQL on our backend. Yes, MySQL lacks some
of the features (transaction logging, transaction
control, row level locking, 4th gen. language
interface, adequate documentation of C interface, etc)
but in cases where those features are not needed it is
robust enough, and fast enough, to compete quite well
with the bigger and more feature-filled databases.

And, before I get bashed repeatedly, I know this is
not the best forum for this. I just had to point out
an apparent misperception.

ags
--- Jeff Eckermann <jeckermann@verio.net> wrote:
> The recently-released PostgreSQL version 7.1 (in
> current ports) is a big
> advance over previous versions.  And it is as close
> to SQL standard
> compliance as about any other serious RDBMS.
> Definitely worth checking out.

=====
'During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.' - Al Gore, March 9, 1999: On CNN's Late Edition