Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 1997 20:08:05 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Michael Langey <pryzm@mail.airmail.net>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Unreality?

> Who are you people?  I've been working with application software
> development since 1976 and all I do is get further behind.  My name is

Us too.  I think this is a wide-spread problem. :-)

> open browser/ODBC.... software.  I've read some of your FAQs and several
> of your pages and cannot believe my eyes.  Can you tell me where I can
> find more about who you are, why you're doing this, how you can offer all
> this for free?  Are you wealthy philanthropists?  Except for a

No, we're just software engineers who like this particular technology
a lot, many of us using it in our paid real-life work.  Some of us
also work on it because they enjoy the work of producing an entire
operating system as a hobby, something to augment a day job's more
mundane hacking duties.

> rare few times in my life, having to make a living has almost always been
> in the way of total immersion and development of software that can be a
> tool for creativeness and knowledge.  I would like to know more please.

Well, what you see at http://www.freebsd.org is pretty much all we
have which describes us.  If you peruse through the "what is" document
and the handbook, especially the appendix sections (engineers wrote
this stuff, so all the really good info is in the appendicies :),
you'll actually find out a fair bit about us.  Reading the release
notes for our various releases at ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/
also provides good information on what it is we're up to.

Regards,

					Jordan