Date:      Thu, 24 May 2012 01:35:34 +0100
From:      RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: portsnap update won't update original /usr/ports

On Tue, 22 May 2012 21:30:44 -0400 (EDT)
Thomas Mueller wrote:

> [...]

It says:

"If you are running Portsnap for the first time, extract the snapshot
into /usr/ports: # portsnap extract

If you already have a populated /usr/ports and you are just updating,
run the following command instead..."

If you have the tree from the disk then that means you are running
portsnap for the first time, the second sentence refers to a /usr/ports
populated by a portsnap extract.

> ---- My response: ----
>

> Now I wonder if it's feasible to switch between "portsnap fetch
> update" and csup <ports-supfile>, or if it's strictly one or the
> other.

You'll probably get away with it most of the time, but it's not safe to
mix them.