Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 13:03:36 -0500
From:      Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of netns - politically correct version

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Mike Barcroft wrote:
> > Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> > >
> > > Might as well move /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC to the attic while
> > > you are at it.  It can serve it's purpose from there, too.
> >
> > This comment is not helpful.
>
> Then let me politically correct it.

This is much more useful, since you document your assertions which
turn out to be incorrect (see below).

> I am cynical about the ability of any code to serve the same purpose
> from the Attic which it serves in the main source tree.
>
> What of the rest of my comment, which you removed?  I'll
> rephrase that, too:
>

> Is there a compelling reason for removing this working code to
> the Attic?

Yes, the compelling reason is that it is broken and no one has stepped
forward to fix it.  Tim is trying to ascertain whether there are
infact real users of this.  Real users would either have big patchsets
or very old versions of FreeBSD.

> I am cynical that any purpose is served by making this change;
> my cynicism leads me to believe that the intention of it is to
> make it easier for someone to hack up other code which uses
> related API's, without having to hack up the netns code as
> well.

The LINT option for Xerox NS protocols has been commented out since at
least 1996.  It's very unlikely there are actual FreeBSD users of said
protocol.

> In other words, it is being done to avoid maintenance, so that
> code changes may be hurried into the source tree.

No, Tim's goal is to clean up the tree and remove unused code, or find
maintainers for broken code that indeed has users.

[other comments based on false assertions removed.]

> Practically, and historically, it seems that there are a lot
> of instances, recently, of code being diked out, not because
> it is not currently working, but because someone wished to
> avoid maintaining it in the face of some sweeping change or
> new idea they want to push into the project.

I think most people just don't want to have to maintain code that no
one uses.  The only way we can figure out if anyone's using the code
is to ask.

Best regards,
Mike Barcroft