Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 10:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        PetBuilder <petbuilder@mediaone.net>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to install from programs internet

At Sun, 23 Sep 2001 it looks like PetBuilder composed:

petbui->Upon checking I can ping IP numbers but I cannot resolve Host Names?
petbui->I've never run across that in windows so I could not even geuss what is
petbui->wrong here.
petbui->Ant thing I should check?
petbui->

Check the file /etc/resolv.conf and make sure it is pointing to
valid nameserver for starters.

The /etc/nsswitch.conf file should have a line that has;

hosts:      files dns

The order of the "files" and "dns" will tell the system to look at
your machine based files for guidance first, meaning your
/etc/resolv.conf file.

On an off note, make sure your /etc/hosts file is in order too.
That file comes into play more that alot of people know. I call that
file "The Poor Man's DNS" file.

As an example, if you added the following entry in /etc/hosts you'd
be able to ping Yahoo.com by it's full name, "yahoo.com" and by it's
new nicknames "bsd" and "yahoo"

So, the command `ping yahoo` and `ping bsd` would yield the same
results of `ping yahoo.com`

That's providing your /etc/nsswitch.conf file has the line that
tells the system to look at "YOUR" files first before checking
a formal DNS site.

hosts:      files dns

216.115.108.243	  yahoo.com	bsd	yahoo

--