Date:      Thu, 16 May 2013 06:56:47 -0500
From:      "Mark Felder" <feld@feld.me>
To:        "Sergey Nasonov" <snasonov@bcc.ru>, =?utf-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=C3=A9?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-xen@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD PVHVM call for testing

On Thu, 16 May 2013 05:45:35 -0500, Roger Pau Monn=C3=A9 <roger.pau@citr=
ix.com>  =

wrote:

> Thanks for testing this, I'm afraid I'm not really familiar with
> XenServer or XenCenter. It looks like Linux users are also running int=
> problems when trying to setup Linux PVHVMs on XenServer 6.1:

He's hitting a well-known bug that's had a lot of discussion on this lis=
t  =

and a little bit on one of the xen lists. I'm waiting for someone at  =

Citrix to fix this, but it doesn't seem to be a priority. Considering yo=
ur  =

email is @citrix.com, it's a little bit disheartening that you're not  =

familiar with XenServer or XCP -- the only Xen platform where a business=
  =

can get support direct from the vendor. :( Please use whatever resources=
  =

you can to prioritize this issue as we'd love to upgrade our  =

virtualization environment to 1.6 ASAP.

 From all the information I've gathered it appears there's a regression =
in  =

qemu used in XenServer/XCP that prevents FreeBSD XENHVM from booting on =
 =

XenServer 6.1 / XCP 1.6. Earlier versions it works fine. NetBSD and  =

Linux-based Xen installs don't tend to have this problem because they us=
e  =

upstream qemu directly. I'm waiting for the next release (XenServer 6.2?=
)  =

to come out so I can test again as they're supposed to be using upstream=
  =

directly in future releases.

Sergey, you can work around this by removing the CDROM/DVDROM device fro=
m  =

the VM. This will allow you to boot the OS and use it. You could also st=
ep  =

back down to XenServer 6.0 or XCP 1.5beta to work around it, but I'm sur=
e  =

you're relying on some of the new features 6.1 has to offer.