Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:50:10 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: further question on the sony viao

I'm using my 5050TR right now ...

lord henry <zeno@interport.net> probably said:
> i'm actually suprised at the compatability i've experienced thus far; that
> the built-in modem was NOT a win modem, and showed up under /dev/cuaa1,
> absolutely SHOCKED me.

and I've gotten good 48k+ connections with it, too.

> luigi's drivers, on the other hand, id the sound card thus:
>
> pcm0 at 0x220 on isa
> ESS1868 (rev 11)
>
> though that like like compatability, any attempts to play sound to the
> sound card cause serious difficulties -- in fact, the kernel panicked once
> already.

pcm0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
ESS1879 (rev 11, native mode)

I specify the irq and drq with 3.2-R+PAO and it works fine.
The TR and the TX are supposedly identical apart from the battery, but
those version numbers are different :/

> is this a problem w/ 3.3, or w/ the USB support in general?

I've not had any luck getting the USB working but I havn't tried too hard.

> if anyone else is toying w/ one of these, i'd also like to point out that
> the PSM_HOOKAPM and PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND options are a GOOD idea if you
> plan on using the touchpad after suspending ;)

and you can suspend (to memory or disk) and swap to an external mouse
and back.

> pcmcia support seems a tad flaky, though i suspect this might have
> something to do w/ my choice of versions (3.3 seems to have issues in this
> realm -- though it's all ok as long as i don't attempt a hot-swap).

with 3.2+PAO I'm not seeing any real flakyness.
Occasionally I have to remove my ether card and put it back after
suspending without a card in and putting the card in while it is
suspended.
options         PCIC_RESUME_RESET       # reset after resume
seems to help.

as soon as 3.3 PAO is out, I'll be playing with that.

P.

--
pir               pir@pir.net      pir@shore.net      pir@net.tufts.edu