Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2004 15:03:36 +0100
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mine.nu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for feedback on a Ports-collection change

> On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 06:54:42 +0300
> Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru> wrote:
>
> > Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > >
> > > On the contrary, changes should be *easier* to track.  All the
> > > information for any given port will be in two files.  This will
> > > not be true for all ports (particularly for ports which have a
> > > lot of patch files).
> >
> > Let's image a situation: port has changed. What is chaneged? Let's see
> > in WebCVS. Does distfile has changed? If yes, I know tarball has
> > changed. pkg-plist has changed? I know a files structure has changed.
> > I got this information even without opening this files. I'll open only
> > Makefile to see a changes in it.
> > It may be much harder to look at a big diff instead.
>
> FWIW I agree with this point.  IMO a much better idea would be:
>
> Hack cvsup so that it can automatically create/update sharfiles of
> specified directories on the client.
>
> This approach would:
> - achieve the stated goal (save inodes)
> - be virtually seamless (nothing in CVS would have to change)
> - have greater applicability (i.e. it could be useful to other projects,
> not just the ports tree.)

IMO that's the way to go (if we find that inode reduction is really an aim).
Strange that no-one followed up on this. However, you have to keep in mind
that you'd couple the bsd.port.mk and cvsup (if I got you right there). This
is something that has to be resolved. This is alike what some of the "better"
ftp servers do: "get dirname.tar.gz" will create a tarball on the fly. Of
course, this should be handled on the client side in our case ... while
thinking about it, if you just hack the cvsup client you can adapt to the
needs of the portstree as you like. All that'd need to change in the bsd.*.mk
is an additional target that'd extract the shar/tarball/whatsoever.

--
Best regards,				| max@love2party.net
Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661