Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 12:55:08 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren?= Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle on FreeBSD

"Søren Schmidt" wrote:

> It seems Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > Both the server and the listeners are running. It survived the installation
> > of the Oracle designer repository from a Win95 machine, while a make
> > buildworld was running :-)
> >
> > NOOT: The kernel did *not* have the Linux thread commits by Julian Elischer.
> > That is going to be tested next.
> >
> > Two issues remain:
> > 1. An Oracle installation script had to be patched. Soren is/was looking at
> > it.
>
> I am, we need to fix our {gs}etgroup emulation for this to work proberly.

Ok... The patch can be used for Oracle in the mean time, but it is important
enough to be fixed anyway. I'll keep it in mind.

> > 2. The Linux_lib and Linux_devel ports cannot be used out of the box (I
> > currently have Redhat packages installed). This should not be too hard to
> > solve.
>
> Does this mean you have linking working now ? Instructions please :)

Yes I have.

HOWTO part 1: Setup an Oracle-friendly FreeBSD environment :-)
1. Download the RPM sources (www.rpm.com); compile and install it (FreeBSD
native).
2. Remove everything from /compat/linux (packages and manual tweaking)
3. Make and run the following script (after you have downloaded all .rpm
files):

#!/bin/sh

SRC=/where/you/have/the/redhat/packages
DST=/compat/linux
RPM="rpm -i --ignoreos --root $DST"

mkdir -p $DST/var/local/lib/rpm
touch $DST/var/local/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

$RPM $SRC/setup-1.9.1-2.noarch.rpm
$RPM $SRC/filesystem-1.3.1-3.noarch.rpm
$RPM $SRC/ld.so-1.9.5-7.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/ldconfig-1.9.5-3.i386.rpm
brandelf -t Linux $DST/sbin/ldconfig
$RPM $SRC/glib-1.0.1-3.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/glibc-2.0.7-17.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/termcap-9.12.6-11.noarch.rpm
$RPM $SRC/libtermcap-2.0.8-9.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/grep-2.2-2.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/fileutils-3.16-9.i386.rpm
brandelf -t Linux $DST/bin/* $DST/usr/bin/*
$RPM $SRC/bash-2.02-1.i386.rpm
brandelf -t Linux $DST/bin/bash
$RPM $SRC/libc-5.3.12-27.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/zlib-1.1.2-2.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/ncurses-4.2-6.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/info-3.12-6.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/make-3.76.1-3.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/binutils-2.9.1.0.7-1.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/gcc-2.7.2.3-11.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/kernel-headers-2.0.34-3.i386.rpm
$RPM $SRC/glibc-devel-2.0.7-17.i386.rpm

brandelf -t Linux $DST/bin/* $DST/sbin/* $DST/usr/bin/* $DST/usr/sbin/*
rm $DST/etc/exports $DST/etc/group $DST/etc/passwd $DST/etc/hosts.allow
$DST/etc
/hosts.deny $DST/etc/motd $DST/etc/printcap $DST/etc/protocols
$DST/etc/services

4. Make an 'oracle' user and 'dba' group. Set the shell of the 'oracle' user
to /compat/linux/bin/bash.
5. Insert the following lines in ~oracle/.profile

ORACLE_BASE=/oracle; export ORACLE_BASE
ORACLE_HOME=/oracle; export ORACLE_HOME
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib:$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib; export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
ORACLE_SID=ORCL; export ORACLE_SID
ORACLE_TERM=386x; export ORACLE_TERM
CLASSPATH=$ORACLE_HOME/jdbc/lib/classes111.zip; export CLASSPATH

PATH=/compat/linux/bin:/compat/linux/sbin: \
     /compat/linux/usr/bin:/compat/linux/usr/sbin: \
     /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin: \
     $ORACLE_HOME/bin; export PATH

6. Login as oracle and run orainst...

> > The following PRs apply to running Oracle:
> > 9082: see quoted text
> > 9154: unimplemented syscall in linux emulator
> >
> > If the PRs can be looked at and the patches committed, I'll test Julians code
> > and post a short HOWTO to the list...
>
> I'll look at that as soon as I get home from work...

Great! The HOWTO is almost finished :-)

marcel