Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 12:40:14 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley585.res.iastate.edu>
To:        "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Interface Architecture

>well, there is a via emulation written for linux by bozeman at LBL. You
>might see if he would let us have a look. app-app latency is 20
>microseconds or so: good but not earth-shattering, UNET is already about
>there anyways. The via spec defines an API that if you conform to you can
>pretty much put anything underneath.

Do you have any more information on the work that Bozeman is doing at
LBL?  I would be interested in what his linux implementation looks like,
and what kind of hardware he is using it on.  I have looked at U-NET.
Although it seems like a nice architecture, there doesn't appear to be
much ongoing work.  The tulip driver has not been updated in a long time,
so it will not even useable on most newer tulip based cards.

>For real low latency you need a hardware via interface. myrinet will be
>releasing one of these this summer. For whatever network you use, there

That should be good. :)  I was under the impression that you could just
write a custom MCP to provide for VIA though, and get the same results.

>have to be tags in the packets that allow hardware demux directly to an
>application or at least a memory area. As it happens, HIPPI is not that
>great this way: you have to put host memory addresses to tell the
>destination interface where to put the data. [IMHO, virtual memory
>addresses in packets are a really bad way to support hardware demux].

Perhaps not.  I really don't have any low level knowlege of hippi, I
was just speculating..

>Believe it or not, one thing that is good is ATM, which we've shown in
>practice here by building a via-like interface for ATM (it's not
>via-compatible because we designed it about three years before intel,
>microsoft et. al. thought of via). If you think about it the ATM VCs can
>in fact define an application as an endpoint, not a host, unlike Ethernet.
>Of course, since the most common use of atm interfaces is to emulate
>ethernet (i.e. LANE), this application-endpoint use is not common :=)
>
>Unfortunately the ongoing ATM disaster (quick: what's the difference
>between the Titanic and ATM? your favorite punchline here. [[[ forget it.
>it's too easy to make the titanic look good compared to ATM]]]) will
>probably mean nobody ever builds via's based on ATM. But Myrinet will
>build good expensive VIAs; and there are other good expensive cards
>coming. It sure would be nice if we got to some good cheap cards at some
>point too: say, a VIA for 100bt that costs about 100 bucks.

Yes, it really would be.  So far, it looks like Gigabit ethernet is the
only cheap/fast networking solution in the near future.  Although,
without a larger MTU, supporting VIA looks hopeless even on "good"
hardware. :(

Chris