Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:27:15 -0700
From:      Tim Baird <tim@storm.digital-rain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail users

At 05:58 PM 4/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 02:44:53PM -0700, Tim Baird wrote:
>> At 05:15 PM 4/13/99 -0400, you wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >I do not know exactly how to ask this so I will try to explain what I want
>> >to do.
>> >
>> >I have a small home network set up with my freebsd box as a server.
>> >I have my kids mac and my wife's win 98 box wired to it and they acces the
>> >internet through it.
>> >
>> >I have a static email address and would like to give them all a mailbox on
>> >my machine where there email would come to.
>> >

>> Just a few Qs....
>>
>> Do you have a DNS MX record pointing to your FBSD system for your domain?
>> Is sendmail configured on your box to accept mail for this domain?
>> Is your box on-line 24/7 ..if not, it is essential to have a  cross mailer.
>
>I honestly do not know what DNS MX is?
>If I send an email to rknebel@rknebel.uplink.net it comes directly into my
>box without the help of fetchmail.
>
>My box is up 24/7 expect for a few minutes every eight hours when It
>adomatically redials when my ISP dissconnects me.

OK....

The addition of mailboxes for users on your FBSD system is very easy.....

Just use "adduser" to create the accounts....

You indicated that you have a popper installed on your box, I included the
instructions for installing it anyway....

*****************************
Try the qpopper port  at

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/mail/popper.tar

If you haven't installed a port before, this is a way to do it.....

Log in a root
Create a dir /usr/ports
Create a dir /usr/ports/distfiles
Create a dir /usr/ports/mail
Go to the /usr/ports/mail dir
Execute ftp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org
When logged in as an anonymous user (name = ftp , password=abc@123.456,
navigate to
/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/ports/mail/
Download the port with the command "get popper.tar"
When the port arrives, type "bye" to exit ftp
Un-tar  port with "tar -xvf popper.tar"
Go to popper dir (cd popper)
Enter "make" command
Port will get source code, d/l it to /usr/ports/distfiles, patch it,
compile it
If "make" is ok, then enter "make install" followed by "make clean"

There must be an entry in the password file for the "pop" user ....
pop:*:68:6::0:0:Post Office Owner:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

Check the /etc/inetd.conf file to ensure that there is a pop3 entry......
pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/popper       popper

HUP your inetd process....
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

You are now able to get mail from your FBSD system with pop3 clients on
your other workstations....

As for the MX records, these are used to direct mail traffic for a domain
to a specific host(s).  Since you have a specific host name in your e-mail
address, the mail will be sent to your system.  However, if someone sent
mail to rknebel@wigwam.uplink.net or rknebel@uplink.net, the mail would not
get to your host unless an MX record in the authoritative NS for your
domain said that it should....