Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 11:52:34 -0400
From:      cliff ainsworth III <cliff@cliffsworld.com>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD a 501c3? was BSD vs Linux

>If we could be a NFP charity.

<snip>

I thought FreeBSD was an NFP.

Has the organization ever filed for the 501c3 status. If not they should.
It would make it easier for companies to donate back to "the cause",
equipment or $$$ if they get something "in return". If FreeBSD already has
the status then it should be posted (and used in marketing) somewhere on
the site. It would help build better ties with us and corporate world. I
mean aside from which corporate entities actually use FreeBSD, what really
differentiates us from an OS like bmpk <<http://www.hut.fi/~will/bpmk/>>;
(of which I am not being derogatory about bpmk, because thats how it all
starts, with an idea), at least from a corporate standpoint. We have a
great stable OS, great apps. If corporations could use us our product,
donate back to us and then take a tax write off to almost any amount w/in
reason. That would put us ahead of the game considerably.

Perhaps that is why Redhat and Caldera penguin products sell. Because they
are actual companies that project some sort of "official status" even if it
is one they have its customers pay support for. It's customers have a
official finger to point at when there is a problem. Its the entity that
gives people comfort in saying "they aren't going anywhere". Maybe whomever
is thinking about the marketing should look along these lines. I could be
mistaken I am not really sure if this org is an NFP. I never really
checked. If so please disregard this. If not I would be interested in
helping FreeBSD get theirs.

Think about it, Greenpeace is a NFP, they had their ship torpedoed by the
French and they got another ship.
-cliff