Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2006 19:00:18 -0500
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
To:        Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Experimental X.org ports updated to 7.2-RC3

Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

>>> FYI,
>>>
>>>     I pulled the latest -CURRENT code on Friday (the 8th), rebuilt world
>>> and kernel, installed it all, and then did a portupgrade yesterday.  I'm
>>> now running 7.2 RC3.  Unfortunately, this bug is still showing up:
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/106370
>>>
>> Unfortunately, when I threw my nVidia card in and installed the driver
>> from ports, I experienced a whole new set of issues.  I symlinked the
>> driver and glx module to the new locations and started X (with
>> gnome-session in my .xinitrc file).   After a few seconds, the mouse
>> cursor disappeared and X locked up.  I rebooted (from a serial terminal)
>> and tried again with fvwm2.  That actually launched without problems.  I
>> started glxgears and it ran.  I quit glxgears by hitting escape.  Except
>> that it never returned me to a prompt at the terminal and the process
>> hung (though the glxgears window did go away).  After a few seconds, the
>> entire system crashed (which also happens if I try to start another GL
>> application). I've tried with version 9629, as well, but encountered the
>> same problem.
>>
>> Version 8776 works fine, though.
>>

> I guess such reports should be made on nVidia FreeBSD forum [1].
>
> [1] http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

I've added my comments to a thread where others have posted problems
with the driver under -CURRENT.

On a somewhat related note...  It appears that the driver (at least all
the versions I've tried so far) is not at all supported on -CURRENT at
all.  Is it wise to let users install it on -CURRENT through the ports
tree in that case?

Adam