Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 22:22:36 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i4b && ELF doesn't seem to work ...

On Sun, Sep 13, 1998 at 06:46:19PM +0200, Andreas Klemm wrote:
> Hi !
>
> Migrated to ELF and since then i4b doesn't work anymore.
> After dialing to my ISP and successfull authentication
> nothing more happens. No data exchange happens.

Well .... after installing a -current of today and leaving out
kernel firewall rules I tracked the problem down to a nameserver
problem. If I ping using an IP address, everything is fine.

But name resolving doesn't work. Well, before some weeks it worked
well, to setup an own domain klemm.gtn.com although I don't
have the authority over that zone.

Now with the new kernel, every address seems to be checked now
on externel nameservers and this seems to make resolving fail.

Does perhaps somebody have an idea what perhaps has changed
or what I could do ? When I configure the nameserver and domain
of my ISP, then again every thing is fine. But I'd like to have
a nameserver of my own again, because this saved me some dialups
using netscape.

	Andreas ///

Here my config if you like to see it:

===================================
named.boot
===================================

// generated by named-bootconf.pl

options {
	directory "/etc/namedb";
	/*
	 * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
	 * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
	 * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
	 * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
	 * port by default.
	 */
	// query-source address * port 53;
};

zone "klemm.gtn.com." {
	type master;
	file "db.klemm";
};

zone "1.16.172.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	type master;
	file "db.172.16.1";
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
	type master;
	file "db.127.0.0";
};

zone "." {
	type hint;
	file "db.cache";
};

// options	query-log

=============================
db.172.16.1
=============================

@       IN SOA  titan.klemm.gtn.com. andreas.klemm.gtn.com. (
                1998020803      ; serial
		10800		; refresh every 3 hours, does SOA query
                3600            ; retry after 1 hour
                3600000         ; expire after 1000 hours
                36000 )         ; minimum ttl is 10 hours

        IN NS   titan.klemm.gtn.com.

1	IN PTR	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
2	IN PTR	salome.klemm.gtn.com.

=============================
db.klemm
=============================

@       IN SOA  titan.klemm.gtn.com. andreas.klemm.gtn.com. (
                1998082901      ; serial
                10800           ; refresh every 3 hours, does SOA query
                3600            ; retry after 1 hour
                3600000         ; expire after 1000 hours
                36000 )         ; minimum ttl is 10 hours

;
; Name servers
;
		IN NS		titan.klemm.gtn.com.

;
; Mail exchangers
;
*			IN MX	10 titan.klemm.gtn.com.
*.klemm.gtn.com.	IN MX	10 titan.klemm.gtn.com.

;
; Host addresses
;
localhost	IN A		127.0.0.1
salome		IN A		172.16.1.2

;
; Multi homed hosts
;
titan		IN A		172.16.1.1

;
; Aliases
;
ftp		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
loghost		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
mail		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
master		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
news		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
nntp		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
nntpserver	IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
ns		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
ntp		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
proxy		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
radius		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
time		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
www		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.
ssl		IN CNAME	titan.klemm.gtn.com.

;
; virtual web hosts
;
freebsd		IN A		172.16.1.1

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?