Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 21:11:37 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Streamlogic RAID array benchmarks

> * >Just FYI, we've seen close to 30MB/s with ccd (no mirroring).  You
> * >need two 2940?W's (or one 3940?W) and at least four disks though.
> *
> * Just for our edification, what kind of CPU did you use?
> *
> * Also For Everyones' Information, you won't get close to that on a real
> * filesystem unless you use a Pentium or better.

>Yeah, it's a P5 (133MHz).  We got pretty much the same result with the
>P6 (200MHz) too (which is kinda surprising, given that their memory
>system is so much slower).

How is that surprising?  The SCSI controller lives on the other side
of the bus, and does the bus-mastering irrespective of the CPU.  The
CPU does not do bcopies for bus-mastering SCSI transfers.

The problems with the 486 is that its slowness causes too great a
latency between when work becomes available, and when it has something
ready to keep the disk subsystem working, causing less than 100%
efficiency.  If all have a (working) PCI bus, what happens on the SCSI
controller side should not be affected by the CPU, except for how busy
the CPU can keep the SCSI controller.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net