Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 01:14:18 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cyclic filesystem (WAS: Re: truss, trace ??)

> No matter what you might think of this, in terms of uggliness of such a hack,
> I think it would be a really nice extention to the normal file system, if
> it could be done, or as a new file system which is basically an FFS/UFS
> (whatever it is we use) with the modification of a file being able to be set
> cyclic on it.
>
> I mean, it's not a completely "clean" way of doing it, but it would suffice
> to keep log and debug files from filling filesystems, which is enough.
> If you logfile is about 10MB, do you care if it's 10000000 bytes or 10345620
> bytes? Not very often.

I'd favour the new filesystem type idea - for lots of reasons.  It could be
binary compatible with a ufs - the only driver implementation difference would
be that truncate() is the only call that will alter its size - write() would
be cyclic.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>;