Date:      Tue, 15 Sep 1998 23:43:34 +0200
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        Joe Moss <jmoss@ichips.intel.com>, chet@po.cwru.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'bug' in /bin/sh's builtin 'echo'

In <Pine.GSO.3.95.980915144632.24623B-100000@eggbeater.cs.rpi.edu>, David E. Cross wrote:

[Remeber that I don't speak for the FreeBSD project]

> On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Martin Cracauer wrote:
>
> > This one doesn't specify a -e option (in fact it specifies that echo
> > should take no options at all), everything behaves as if -e was
> > specified and all switches are echoed. I can hardly accept that as
> > something to follow.
>
> With '\c', you don't need '-n' any more.

But it gets you into quoting hell quickly.

> This is already the way our own /bin/echo works, and that has not seemed
> to have broken anything.

I think people will rarely call /bin/echo directly, but use the one
from the shell.

Removing -n is out of question in any case.

> It also has the support of a 'standard', and
> most (all?) of the commercial UNIX providers following it (anyone want to
> try on HP-UX and OSF/Digital UNIX?).

Commercial Unix vendors are pretty quick in supporting anything that
makes more existing application run than it breaks, at the cost that
newly developed applications get buggier and more unportable because
the environment lacks the feedback of error conditions.

> (on a side note, our 'ls' does not support the '-n' flag; this would be me
> volenteering to fix if no one else is interested in doing so)

I'd welcome it.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer