Date:      Sun, 22 May 2022 22:33:16 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Can net interfaces efficiently transmit data in extpg mbufs?

Hi,=0A=
=0A=
The current NFS code knows how to optionally put the large RPC=0A=
messages (read/readdir replies and write requests) in extpg mbufs=0A=
instead of mbuf clusters.=0A=
=0A=
This was done so that the data did not need to be copied when the=0A=
KTLS (which requires extpg mbufs) is being used.=0A=
=0A=
However, I am wondering if putting the data in extpg mbufs might=0A=
be a performance win for non-TLS use for some net interfaces?=0A=
=0A=
rick=0A=
ps: (I do know that some network interfaces cannot handle extpg mbufs=0A=
 and, for them, the data must be copied to mbuf clusters. However,=0A=
 I am guessing that some network interface drivers can handle data=0A=
 to be sent in extpg mbufs.)=0A=
=0A=