Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 14:13:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        dg@Root.COM
Cc:        gfoster@gfoster.com, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sticky drives (was: your mail)

> >In all this talk of "twisting" drives (which has never worked for me)
> >has anybody mentioned sticking the thing in the freezer overnight?  I
> >have resurrected a couple of stiction'd drives this way (but it
> >doesn't always work).
>
>    This is extremely dangerous, BTW.  When you take the drive out of the
> freezer, condensation may form on the platters as the drive heats up.
> Conversely, frost may form on the platters as the drive drops below freezing.

This is absolutely true, dropping a drive below 0 deg C is a sure fire
way to damage it.  Even the non-operating temp spec on almost all mfg's
disk is +5 C on the lower end.  Having done MIL-SPEC drive work that
had to operate over -55 to +125 C the actual hardest part of this range
was the -5 to +5 C range, condensation being a real killer.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD