Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2012 23:26:58 +0000
From:      Greg Hennessy <Greg.Hennessy@nviz.net>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ermal_Lu=E7i?= <eri@freebsd.org>, Walt Elam <wrelam@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Getting Involved

> There is one catch.
> FreeBSD does not want to break compatibility of old syntax and that is wh=
> i did not port the latest version of pf(4).

Shades of the versioning/maintenance issues surrounding putting Perl in the=
 base way back in the day.=20

> What is there now makes it 'trivial' to go to the latest pf(4) version in

Does that include the performance improvements which came with new version?=
=20
Would be interesting to know what impact if any they would have on the Free=
BSD PF port.=20

> Open but there needs to be a layer of translation
> for the old syntax to new syntax.

As a one off translation when someone upgrades Major version numbers to the=
 FreeBSD version hosting the new PF code?=20
Or run every time when someone loads the security policy for now and the fo=
reseeable future?=20

> That is the only reason its not been done.

I can see the issues, hope it's not intractable.=20
The new syntax is a significant improvement, shame about lack of thought gi=
ven to backward compatibility.=20
=20
With your expert knowledge on this Ermal,  is it possible to run both old a=
nd new PF parsers in there to generate a policy which would run against the=
 newer packet filtering engine code?
Defaulting to the old syntax, with say something like a ' later_pf_enable=
=3D"yes"'' in rc.conf or a single 'use' line at the top of pf.conf to switc=
h to the new syntax?=20

Regards

Greg
  =20