Date:      Sun, 31 Aug 1997 17:33:50 -0500
From:      "David Empey" <empey@integral.on.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd-win95 network

Greetings:

I am attempting to use a freebsd box (via a cable modem) to connect a
Win95 machine to the net.  I have the freebsd connection to the net
(on ed0) working fine, but am having trouble configuring the 2
machines to do the rest of the job.

Let me explain what I have so far:

The FreeBSD machine is hooked up no problem, using the DNS, gateway,
etc, from the ISP.  A second lan connecting the 2 machines (using a
crossover cable) is set up, with the freebsd assigned the IP
192.168.1.1.  The ip for the connection to the net is 24.112.48.46.

The Win95 machine is set up with the IP 192.168.2.1, the gateway set
to the FreeBSD machine (192.168.2.1), and DNS to the one from my net
provider.

Can anyone tell me if this configuration is correct, and what needs
to be done to tell the freebsd machine to send packets meant for the
internet to the ed0 interface?

I haven't found a decent document explaining all of this - please do
let me know if I've missed it somewhere!

Any help appreciated, with thanks!

David Empey
mailto: empey@integral.on.ca
http://www.integral.on.ca/empey/
604-185 Berkshire Drive, London, Ontario, Canada, N6J 3R6
(519)-474-0296