Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 1995 22:51:39 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Subject:   Re: hangs at Rebooting...

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > The "beep beep beep" seems to indicate that the video controller is
> > stuck after the reoboot (and no video memory found).  Any ideas?

> Yea, do you happen to have a shared memory ethernet controller sharing
> the same 128K byte segment that the video BIOS is in?

It could have been, but it doesn't seem to have an effect.

It's been that:

	video BIOS: 0xc0000, most likely 16 bit
	Bt742 BIOS: 0xdc000, probably 8 bit
	3C503 (8-bit) shared mem: 0xd8000, 8 bit

I've moved it to:

	video BIOS: 0xc0000
	Bt742 BIOS: 0xc8000
	3c503 RAM:  0xd8000

Even pulling the ethernet card didn't help.  I'm not fully sure about
the BIOS width of the video BIOS (it's an older ELSA twinbus card);
the Bt742 does have only a single EPROM, so i believe it would be 8
bit.  Moving the Bt742 ROM out of the range 0xc0000 - 0xdffff (and
thus out of a different 128-K segment with respect to the video BIOS)
is not an option.  I can only select 0xc80000/0xcc0000/0xd80000/
0xdc0000, and i need the BIOS to boot.

FWIW, all memory regions are known to the EISA BIOS, including the
shared mem of the 3Com board.

> If that is not it I would need a very complete and nitty gritty detailed
> description of the hardware in your system.

The problem seems to happen only on manual reboot, i.e. whenever i
have to hit a key in order to initiate the reboot.  Automatic reboots
do always work.  (Hence it's not too annoying.)  Clearing the BIOS
warm boot flag didn't help either (done by writing to location
0xf0000472 from within DDB, that's where the 0x1234 happened to be
before).

The beep code is beep-beep-beep beep-beep beep-beep-beep-beep.  I
don't have a reference table handy, but since the video BIOS message
doesn't appear, i suspect it doesn't find the video memory.

> Phoenix has never impressed me with there BIOS, it may be a problem there
> as well, in that they should firmly bash the video card over the head
> before attempting to shadow the bios.

I don't think i've got any shadowing enabled at all.

--
cheers, J"org