Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2012 11:10:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek RTL8191SEvB Linux driver?

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Da Rock wrote:

> On 01/03/12 22:10, Jerry wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:44:30 +1000
>> Da Rock articulated:
>>
>>> On 01/03/12 11:15, Jeffrey McFadden wrote:

> Jerry, there are so many things that are so wrong and so un-pc in this
> statement that it is more than ridiculous. But we will ignore the
> political/religious sentiments and try to stick to the technical.
>
> Winblows, Mac, Linux, BSD, others APIs are like cheese and chalk (although
> Mac is a closer relative than any other). By your logic we should be getting
> Winblows drivers to work on BSD.

Don't ndis(4) ndiscvt and ndisgen(8)  essentially accomplish what the OP
is requesting? See the handbook section 12.8.1.1:

     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html

or the man page for ndiscvt:

   http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=8&topic=ndiscvt

While doing the conversion looks a bit beyond what we would expect of an
end-user, it does seem to offer a path for using hardware whose
manufacturer does not support FreeBSD. Is there anything beyond licensing
issues preventing such drivers from being included in the distribution, or
made downloadable in FreeBSD form?

Daniel Feenberg