Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 97 22:03:31 -0500
From:      Timothy J Luoma <luomat+freebsd+scsi@luomat.peak.org>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI chain problems (probably me)

OK, this is probably easy, but I can't get it together.

What I have:

Inside Tower:
	Adaptec 2940 Card

		| <ribbon cable>

	Sony CDU-76S CD-ROM (4x)

		| <ribbon cable>

	Seagate ST32171N (2 gig)

The back of the tower is a SCSI-1 connector and a SCSI-1--to--SCSI-2 cable
to a SyQuest EZ135 drive which then connects to a MicroPolis
1598-15MD1066702.

The MicroPolis is a full-height drive.  It is in a case with space for 2
such drives.  The case DOES NOT need to be terminated.

The above setup has worked for months and months and months (April).

I now have a new-to-me Seagate ST-31230N.  I ran 'verify media' on it, and
it came up just fine.

I installed a DOS partition on it (10 megs) and FBSD 2.2.5 off the CDs.  It
works FINE but only if I remove the other Seagate drive and disconnect the
external devices

I cannot seem to put the new Seagate in the chain anywhere without causing
system panics and SCSI timeouts.  I have tried to put it between the Adaptec
card and the CD-ROM (inside the tower) and in the external case with the
MicroPolis.

The Adaptec is set to DISable Termination.

I am guessing that this is a termination problem somewhere, but WHERE?  How
do I fix it?

I've got the spec sheets for all 3 drives but don't really know how to read
them....

TjL