Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 21:23:04 -0400
From:      Mark McVicker <mcvm@earthlink.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hard Disc Geometry Clarification During Install

Hello, all.  I hope this is the correct forum for my question.

I'm attempting to install FreeBSD 4.5 on a new system I've just put
together (w/ two 60GB drives).  This is the first time I've ever
installed a *nix system.

After reading the documentation & notes and the book I bought, I still
wanted clarification before going any further in my install process.  I
know my question is probably simple, but I wanted someone else's opinion
before I potentially messed things up.

My scenario is as follows: When I reach the part of the install which
asks which disk I want to put my files on, I am given the warning,
``WARNING! A geometry of 116301/16/63 for ad0 is incorrect. Using a more
likely geometry...''.  Upon clicking OK, I am given the fdisk utility to
create my slice(s).  The second line of fdisk gives me: 7297 cyls/255
heads/63 sectors = 117226305 sectors (57239MB) which sounds similar to
my 60GB disc.

Even though I got the error message, is it okay to continue with the
install, or do I need to change something in the BIOS?

Any advice/assistance/help, etc. would be appreciated.  Thanks for your
time.

Cheers,
-Mark
USA