Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 15:00:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dahc@Phoenixnet.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp routing/aliasing

I seem to be missing something here I just can't get this to work.

here is my netstat -rn

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif Expire
default            156.46.127.1       UGSc        3      348      tun0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          1        0       lo0
156.46.127.1       156.46.127.51      UH          3        0      tun0
156.46.127.51      127.0.0.1          UGHS        0        0       lo0

the FreeBSD 2.2.1 machine can ftp out and be ftp'd into so I'm sure it's
connected ok.

When I try to add the interface into the sysconfig for the ethernet card
(ed1) the ppp dialer (iijpp) takes a few minutes to open instead of it
happening quickly. I try the ppp -alias and it says packet forwarding is
enabled but it doesn't seem to happen.

What I have tried,
 configureing ed1 with the same IP address as the tun0 ipaddress
 not configureing ed1 at all
 configureing ed1 with a second valid IP address

I have to be missing something but this is my first time trying this so I
won't beat myself up to much.

my IP address that is assigned to me by my ISP every time I dialin is
156.46.127.51
the machine I dialin to's IP address is 156.46.127.1

any help would be appreciated, and remember I'm new at this so you may have
to spell it out for me.

thanks
Chad