Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 20:07:45 +0000 ()
From:      francis yeung <fyeung@fyeung5.netific.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't shutdown

Greetings,

	Due to some applications problems, I have to automatically
	reboot my BSD 2.0.5 system every 4 hours. I have setup
	a /bin/sh script to do "shutdown -r +1". The following
	messages were displayed after 1 minutes:

	Dec 27 20:31:32 sysx shutdown: reboot by root:
	Dec 27 20:31:35 sysx syslogd: exiting on signal 15

	and then the system just hung there. It did not go into
	disk resync and reboot at all.

	I have also tried various ways shown below:

	- reboot
	- su << EOF
	  /sbin/shutdown -r +0
	  EOF
	- etc

	And, all ends up with the same result - hung without going
	into disk resync and reboot.

	will go into disk ...resync.... and then reboot ! Why ?

	Do the reboot and shutdown command need  some kind of "tty" operation?

	I want to be able to reboot my system remotely. What do I have
	to do ?

	I have no problem doing halt, reboot and shutdown on the console,
	or in a rlogin or telnet session.

	but I can't use a script or system() call to do the same. Why ?

	Thank you for your help.

	Francis