Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:10:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Herve Quiroz <herve.quiroz@esil.univ-mrs.fr>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd.java.mk 2.0

Hi,

I'm in the process of getting this bsd.java.mk 2.0 working together with
a demonstration java lib port. I've managed to stay compatible with the
former bsd.java.mk (that I call 1.0), which means we don't have to
change all java ports at once, but rather mark the old features as
"deprecated".

BTW, is there something in portlint(1) regarding java ports ? If so,
that would be the right place to check those "deprecated" statements.

Anyway, that's not the main goal of my mail. Instead, I'm asking for
help, not Java related but Make related...

So far, JDK/JRE dependency is resolved as follow:

It first builds a list of all JDK/JRE ports suitable according to their
version number in _JAVA_PORTS_BY_VERSION.

Then, the same for _JAVA_PORTS_BY_OS and _JAVA_PORTS_BY_VENDOR.

I was trying to build a list which is the intersection of those 3 above
lists. So far, the only answer I have found to this problem is using
three for/do/done nested loops. But IMHO it relies too much on the
underlying shell, which is subject to change depending on machines. I
know GNU Make better than the BSD one (PMake IIRC) and I know that GNU
Make provides 'for' loops on its own. I can't find anything similar with
PMake...

There may be another solution. If anyone has any idea, or just knows
how to do 'for' loops (or even lists intersections) in a generic (that
is not shell dependent) fashion, please let me know about it.

Regards,

Herve