Date:      Thu, 31 May 2012 12:21:27 +0200
From:      Lars Engels <lars.engels@0x20.net>
To:        Damien Fleuriot <ml@my.gd>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You Using FreeBSD?

--L6+lUPd1XOsaFBch

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:06:55PM +0200, Damien Fleuriot wrote:
>=20
> On 5/30/12 8:20 PM, David Chisnall wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >=20
> > This is off-topic, so please feel free to disregard it, but I'm sending=
 it to this list in the hope that it will reach a largish number of users. =
=20
> >=20
> > I am currently looking at updating some of our advocacy material (which=
 advertises exciting new features like SMP support), and before I do I'd li=
ke to get a better feel for why the rest of you are using FreeBSD.  If you =
had to list the three things you most like about FreeBSD, which would you p=
ick?  Are they the same as when you first started using it? =20
> >=20
> > David
>=20
>=20
> We're using FreeBSD here only for firewall boxes.
>=20
>=20
> Reasons for using FBSD for firewalls:
> - CARP
> - relayd
> - PF
> - pfsync
>=20
> Reasons I can't get management to use FBSD for regular servers (web,
> haproxy, db...):
> - "hard" to use
> - update process is "hard", time-consuming and annoying (as opposed to
> debian's for example)
>=20
> A regular debian update is 5 minutes + reboot
> A regular FBSD update is about 1.5 hour + 3 reboots (after
> installkernel, installworld, rebuild of ports)

But how often do you need to update?

--L6+lUPd1XOsaFBch

--L6+lUPd1XOsaFBch--