Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:47:21 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        Long Le <le@cs.unc.edu>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with aic7892 in 4.5-Release

> Hi all,
>
> When there are some intensive accesses to the hard drive, my machine
> would stall for a few minutes. After that, there are some messages
> on the console. I have an Adaptec SCSI controller and IBM hard drives.
>
> I posted a message on freebsd-scsi a few months ago and received
> suggestions that this might be a cable/termination problem. Meanwhile,
> I have been seeing this problem on two machines and 8 hard drives.
> I had hardware technicians do all the hardware checks and everything
> checked fine.
>
> Any help or suggestion would be very much apprecitated.
> Please kindly cc' your reply to me since I'm not on the list.

What the messages are basically saying is that your drives are
not completing certain commands that we have issued to them.  There
were certainly some issues with certain DDYS drive firmware versions
that could cause these types of symptoms.  One thing that might help
you is to lower the tag depth to your drives using the camcontrol
utility.

Can you also post the drive information from an invocation of
"dmesg" on this system?

--
Justin