Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:21:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      michael@blueneptune.com
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tar hangs 2.2.x system

>>	Buffered devices (/dev/fd0) are JUST and ONLY for mounting
>>	something (and for swapon(8)).
>>
>>	Raw devices (/dev/rfd0) are FOR EVERYTHING ELSE.
>>
>>Sorry for shouting, but from some non-newbie like dennis, i would have
>>expected to know this.  I'm repeating this over and over again to my
>>clients on any Unix course i'm teaching.
>
> Perhaps true, but in the commercial world you cant instantaneously
> change all of your documents and procedures to fix something that
> has worked since the beginning of time. They both SHOULD work, and
> changing a basic procedure is quite painful.

Maybe I'm a special case, but in the 15+ years I've been working
with Unix, I've -always- known to use the raw device for tape
archives.  And most system documentation I've looked at indicates
that this is the case.  I would never even try to use a buffered
device for tar, and I wouldn't be surprised in any case where it
didn't work the same as a raw device.

Even if it did work on systems where you've been using it, I have
a hard time buying the argument that something that has always worked
should be maintained as working in the same fashion.  If it's documented
to work in a specific way, sure, I buy it then.  But if it's an
undocumented behaviour, and general knowledge for many years indicates
that you shouldn't do it, then I think it's a bad practice to expect
that behaviour to remain.  On the flip side, it should not arbitrarily
be removed, either, for pretty much the same reasons you state.  But
if a design change happens to make that undocumented feature break, then
in general I think that's ok.

[Sorta like "lseek(fd, 0, 0)" with no prototype in scope.  It's neither
wise nor recommended, but it works on nearly all flavors of Unix... until
off_t is increased to 64 bits.]

--
Michael Bryan
michael@blueneptune.com