Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 1996 11:32:22 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General SMP Design

> The other interesting things aside from NBS included CMDS, contention
> minimizing data structures.
>
> They advocate per-processor pools which many agree is good for SMP
> performance.

It's more an issue of context migration and synchronization, and the
impact on scalability.

Many people who do not consider scalability (ie: a limit of 4 processors
is acceptable to them) don't understand that the limit is imposed by
synchronization arbitration.  Per processor pools increase the number
of processors you can do without hitting this limitation.

For 2-4 processors, this limitation really does not impact performance
enough to notice.  After 4 processors, however, it becomes a real
issue.

So it's a post-scaling performance issue, or a scalability issue more
than a pure performance issue.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org