Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 08:10:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make world problem

Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > yacc -d -o parse.c /usr/src/usr.bin/lex/parse.y
> > > usage: yacc [-dlrtv] [-b file_prefix] [-p symbol_prefix] filename
> >
> > You need to build and install yacc first. Your installed yacc doesn't
> > know about the -o arg. Are you building on an oldish -current, -stable
> > or something else?
>
> Why is the makefile depending on -o?

So that it can choose the output file name like other utilities (such as
ld).

> It makes much more sense to use the -b; at least that way, the
> generated file is fairly recognizable as being the output of yacc.

I'll let you argue this with Bruce. 8-)

> It's really a pain, especially when someone is depending on particular
> features, to get some code from the net and then not be able to "touch"
> all the generated files so that I don't have to re-yacc them and thus
> subject myself to this type of screwup.  8-(.

I don't understand what building FreeBSD sources with FreeBSD tools has
to do with obtaining code from the 'net.

If there is an issue here, I think it is that yacc is not built early
in a make world line make itself is. A second issue is that the make
world should check the kernel version so that a build on 2.2.5, for
example, can build the extra tools early on without penalizing everyone
with later systems.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137