Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:05:16 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Dave <dave@g8kbv.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fixit disc for 7.3 #1?

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 09:01:18AM -0000, Dave wrote:

	[[ useless junk ]]

> > it.  it keep cycling, trying to boot a 7.3 #1.
> >
> > i just remembered that the floppy disk   was a DOS file  with a secret
> > command :A:\MBR that got rid of that boot track.
> >
> > it's looking more and more hopeless.

> > wasn't/isn't there some kind of "fixit" CD?
> >
> > gary
>
> Sounds like you need to get into the Dell's BIOS, and alter the boot
> order, so as it looks first at CD and Floppy drives, before the hard
> disk.  Dell's can be funny things at times though, especially if it's
> been setup for a headless boot (server mode)...

	this us  a case when what i tried was worse than dumb and
	dumber; it was beyond idiocy.

	to try and keep my dell from booting infinitely, i when into
	/etc/fstab and commented out all the file system entries.
	STILL, FBSD starts to boot.  it blows up only when it tried
	to mount the first slice.  my original theory   was that
	without  any of the Devices in /etc/fstab mounted, the boot
	would simply ==quit==; this would when i would have a chance
	to mount one of my iso CD files.

> The old tool you're thinking of for DOS/Windows was "FixMBR".

	was this on an old dos floppy?  pretty sure i had the old
	5.25[?]-inch floppy; it was a micro$oft disc and the file
	that got rid of my incomplete  freebsd was never advertised.
	but it did the  trick and my cousin got back    to
	reinstalling whatever he had.

	fast forward 11.5 years and i'm here with an old dell that
	is sitting here, cabled up with no plac e to go.

> I thihk like 'Da Rock' has suggested, you best pull the affected hard
> disk, and either put it in a USB caddy, then mount it as an external
> drive on a working system, if it's not badly mullered somehow, or install
> it as an extra drive in such a similar system, and get stuff off it like
> that, is probably the best way.

	yes, i think you nailed it.  the facts are that the guy who
	helped me last sunday was somebody i did not know before.
	so now i'll have to email and see if he'll have the time and
	energy to come back in the next few weeks and drop in an
	empty disc.  used/refurb; it's a dontcare.

> Then, flatten it and do a clean install of whatever, with it fitted back
> into it's original home.
>
> Unless someone else comes up with a better plan.
>
> Regards.
>
> Dave B.

	well, you've confirmed my own thinking.  i think this drive
	is the only one in the 2003 computer.  that was the last
	year that dell built things rights, IMHO.  The opticals
	are  packaged neatly;  a couple of plugs and a heavy strap.
	Seriously  well engineered from a hardware design
	standpoint.  that's the  only reason i didn't have the box
	hauled away last april.

	thanks,

	gary