Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2006 15:34:21 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Lev Serebryakov <lev@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: KSE, libpthread & libthr: almost newbie question

Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello Julian,
>
> Friday, October 27, 2006, 11:39:29 PM, you wrote:
>
> JE> As I mentioned in another email, most of the complexity does not come
> JE> from the  M:N code, but rather from the attempt to provide process
> JE> fairness.
>   What is Process fairness? Situation, when process with 10 threads consumes same amount of CPU resource, as process with 1 thread (if they are equal in IO, sleeping, etc)?

basically, if you and I both write programs to do a particular job
on a timesharing system, and you use threads to do so and I use
a sophisticated event handler/state machine, I shouldn't find that
my program is running like a pig because yours has 1000 slots in the
run queue and I only get run 1 in 1001 ticks.