Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:06:35 -0800
From:      Doug Epps <dougie@tippett.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ibm thinkpads internal modem

greetings,

i hope you can help me, i have an ibm thinkpad 760ED that i have
installed FreeBSD on, and i cant seem to get the modem (internal) to
work !

it (bsd) claims it is looking at the proper address (by proper i mean
the number agrees with the thinkpad doc. and the value's win95 reports,
i believe 0x2f8)

but it doesn't seem to want to believe my modem is a honest to goodness
serial device ... any ideas ?

i understand that the thinkpad switches the io ports between several
different serial devices (there is a win95 util to do this)... i do not
know if this 'state' is preserved across resets, but would hope it is,
if not is there an 'init' type of thing that i can write ?

i program on my sgi all the time, but do not know how to make FreeBSD do
'dos' type things (like write to io ports etc)

thanks

doug

--
Doug Epps -- Tippett Studio