Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:35:46 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hot-Swapable Drives and FreeBSD

	Is there a safe way short of rebooting to let FreeBSD
know that a hot-pluggable drive has been added?

	I recently added one to a FreeBSD4.7 system.  When the
connector made contact, a console message that Channel A had just
reset popped up so the hardware knew it was there.  The system
continued to work properly as expected, but it only knew about
/dev/da0.

	As soon as I rebooted, it then knew about both drives.

	I wanted to add a new drive to a running system and keep
the reboots down to a minimum.  Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group