Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 2021 02:39:53 -0800
From:      Fred Finster via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Cc:        wb7odyfred@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: 13.0-RELEASE Poor performance on Raspberry pi 3 B+

--------------69E4829E703704D5577829FD

Hello Mark Miller and others,

We need to /*audit*/ the  /boot files, plus other source and binary
files to confirm we are using the same binary software.   Just tell me
if there is a work flow, that I am not familiar with that audits files
to verify this set of sources match that set of sources.   Yes, the
point of this "group of emails" is to look for the Poor performance on
Raspberry pi 3 B+.

Also compare(audit) Raspberry Pi updated firmware files  to the same
files in the FreeBSD 13.0 Stable (or FreeBSD 14.0 Current) sources.

Here is an example of using the md5deep  audit tool explained on my blog
post.
https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2021/05/audit-your-boot-files-with-md5deep.html
<https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com/2021/05/audit-your-boot-files-with-md5deep.html>;

*Example Usage for md5deep*

I put an /*md5deep*/ example using the source files config.txt and
start4.elf and fixup.dat for my use in May 2021  on my blog
https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com <https://ghostbsd-arm64.blogspot.com>;

md5deep -z -b *   > ~/audit_bootfiles_raspi4b_may12.md5

        Here is the manual page for md5deep

http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/md5deep.html
<http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/md5deep.html>;

http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/start-md5deep.html
<http://md5deep.sourceforge.net/start-md5deep.html>;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5deep
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Md5deep>;

Github location for HASHDEEP/md5deep tools.  Read for information

https://github.com/jessek/hashdeep <https://github.com/jessek/hashdeep>;

  from Jesse Kornblum Github

I suggest using this audit tool /*'*//*md5deep*/' to keep track of files
each of us is using with the raspberry pi Freebsd sources in the binary
images we create. I always wanted to compare the /boot directory of
files in the freebsd sources to the updated versions of the same files
from the raspberrypi github.com sources for the firmware files.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware
<https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware>;   Look the boot files were
updated 3 days ago.  approximately November 22, 2021   are those flies
updated in the freebsd sources to build for Raspberry Pi 4B?  The test
sbc computer, I have available?   I just want to see updates that fix
problems in the raspberry pi github, promulgated into freebsd sources.
With an audit tool, we can prove yes those changes are here in the
FreeBSD sources.  or prove NO these changes have not been incorporated
yet.   Example in U-boot.bin April 2020,  then there is a newer version
of U-boot.bin.  I think you, Mark Miller, mentioned this in your
analysis in a separate email.

I welcome other methods to audit the source files, we all use. So we can
verify that I use the same source files in my binary build of FreeBSD,
that you use in your binary build of FreeBSD.

I am very excited about the Tier 1 build for (aarch64) ARM64 by FreeBSD
Foundation.  I use and test their snapshot builds from
https://freebsd.org/where <https://freebsd.org/where>;
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/
<https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/>;

https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20211118-4082b189d2c-250820.img.xz
<https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI-20211118-4082b189d2c-250820.img.xz>;
November 18, 2021 snapshot image for FreeBSD 14.0 Current for Raspberry
Pi 3/4  Thank you  FreeBSD Foundation for this service you provide!!

Your friend,  (pardon for my mistakes and lack of knowledge of the
FreeBSD build process. )

Fred Finster

mailto: wb7odyfred at yahoo.com <mailto: wb7odyfred@yahoo.com>

telegram group  I administrate:   ARM Open Source
https://t.me/joinchat/ST6N61pnu3Di8zgk
<https://t.me/joinchat/ST6N61pnu3Di8zgk>;

You are welcome to join and contribute.

--------------69E4829E703704D5577829FD--