Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:24:01 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <asmodai@bart.nl>
To:        First Name Last Name <hate00@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nmap and windows

1) Fix your hotmail profile to actually display a less weird name in the
   From:.

-On [19991222 07:55], First Name Last Name (hate00@hotmail.com) wrote:
>My first problem is I cant connect to any windows machines at all.  I cant
>ping,telnet,ftp or anything with any kinda windows machine.  I cant even
>view a webpage thats on like a nt machine. and they cant do any of that
>stuff back to me either.

2) You are not providing enough information to let people adequately
   help you.  You don't explain anything about your network set-up.
   What the FreeBSD host is doing in this whole story.

   Based on what you tell above, if even ping fails then obviously
   something is wrong with physical or logical network access.  Is the
   cabling alright?  Is the IP address alright.  Have you tried
   pinging/tracerouting from the other hosts to the FreeBSD box?  Etc,
   etc...

>My next problem is nmap keeps saying I need to enable berkley packet filter
>and build my kernel again.  But I already did that and it still says the
>same thing.

3) Shot in the dark.  su -m && cd /dev && ./MAKDEV bpf0

Regards,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai@bart.nl>                      bART Internet Services /