Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:08:39 -0400
From:      "Charles A. Peters" <cpeters2@home.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PCAnywhere through natd/ipfw firewall gateway

To all interested users!

I have figured out how to connect to individual win95/win98 boxes on
the inside of a freebsd gateway.  Here it goes:

Configuration

freebsd gateway with 2 nics
	internal ip:	192.168.0.1	(gateway for win95/win98 clients)
	external ip:	24.4.123.456 (the third and fourth octets are made up)

win95/win98 boxes
	ip:			192.168.0.101
	ip:			192.168.0.102
		on these boxes, the gateway points to 192.168.0.1

To connect to the win95/win98 box on the internal network from the
outside (freebsd.org for example), run pcanywhere 32 (I'm using
version 8.0)

1.	create an icon to represent the host that you are trying to
connect to

2.	right click the icon and go down to properties

3.	select the connection info tab

4.	enter the ip address for the gateway that you are trying to go
through in the field
	labeled 'network host pc to control or ip address (for our example,
use 24.4.123.456)

5.	select the 'connection info' tab

6.	make sure that tcp/ip is selected

7.	click on details button

8.	check the box that says 'Use Gateway'

9.	in the box labeled 'name', type in the internal ip address for the
machine that you wish to
	connect to

7.	the 'class' box should be left blank

8.	the 'parity' box should be 'none'

9.	click 'ok' button to return to the 'connection info' tab

10.	click 'ok' button to save your changes

You are now ready to go!

BTW: PCAnywhere uses the following ports for connections:

	5631	incoming traffic
	5632	outgoing traffic

These are required if you are going through a firewall (ipfw).

Currently, I'm working on a firewall, and I will post the firewall
options once I have figured them out.

Thanks,

Charles

cpeters2@home.com