Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:06:24 -0700
From:      "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        "'Patrick Thomas'" <root@utility.clubscholarship.com>, Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Dell PERC scrub / scrubbing question

Specifically, what kind of controller is this?  There were several
sub-models of the Dell PERC2.

Tom is correct, a scrub is when all blocks on a redundant array (0, 5, 10,
50, etc) are read and the mirror/parity data is recalculated and written.
On some controllers, the array can be used while the scrub is in progress,
but this slows down both the scrub operation and the I/O to the array.  If
the scrub completes but then starts again after a reboot it could be either
a bug in the firmware on the card, or that the card may not be getting shut
down correctly and the firmware is starting a scrub to verify that no data
was lost.  Please send me your dmesg output so I can determine if I can help
you with some specific debugging procedures.

Scott