Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2006 14:35:02 -0600
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        VANHULLEBUS Yvan <vanhu_bsd@zeninc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FSCKing a RO partition

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 03:39:15PM +0100, VANHULLEBUS Yvan wrote:

> (problem reported first to FreeBSD-hackers, where people told me
> "GEOM"....).
>
> [background]
> When the system starts up, root partition is already monted RO, and
> fsck works, without any problems, without any warning.

As explained on -hackers, this is a bug, introduced at the same time as
UFS2, soft updates, background fsck, and GEOM..  that is: 5.x.  I hope
someone here in -geom can look into it.  Maybe filing a PR might help?

> But under FreeBSD6 (and I guess 5, but I don't have a running FreeBSD5
> host), fsck says "NO WRITE ACCESS", then starts its stuff (but I fear
> what will happen if it detect problems on the filesystem....).

It won't be able to fix the problems, because writing has been disabled.
This is definately a regression.  I started looking into it, but never
had the time to produce a patch.

-- Rick C. Petty