Date:      Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:43:38 +0000
From:      George Cox <gjvc@extremis.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Charles F. Dillon" <charlesdillon@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating

On 10/01 12:25, Charles F. Dillon wrote:

> I have recently installed 3.3Stable and noticed that 3.4Stable is now
> available.  How necessary is it update from 3.3 until, say, 4.0?( Save for
> must have feature :))

OK.  There are two streams in FreeBSD.  There's -STABLE which is what most
people follow.  This is, as its name implies, the one to go for if you want
"Rock Stable Performance!" (tm).

4.0 is the -CURRENT stream which is where developers fear to tread.  You want
the 3.4-STABLE one.  Actually, you more than likely installed 3.3-RELEASE,
which is just a snapshot of the development of 3.x-STABLE.

> I use the machine as a single user desktop machine.  Is seting up CTM worth
> it?

Absolutely.  I use cvsup myself, but getting a method of keeping up to date
with the branch you're following is a good idea.

> I plan to at some point, but I was curious if I could get away w/
> version updates via CD(ISO-9660 images) until then.

Sure, but cvsup is good fun!

best;

gjvc

--