Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:41:07 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   File permissions - how to "lock" a directory

I have a particularly thorny problem I'm trying to solve, but I'll bet
FreeBSD has a solution.

I'm running a webserver using suphp.  It's very picky about permissions.
It wants the web server user (www) to be the owner of all directories and
files.

Meanwhile, the site owners want to be able to update and add files to the
site.  When they update files everything is fine.  When they upload new
files, the ownership of the file is user:user instead of www:user, so
apache can't display them.

Is there a way to "lock" a directory such that all files created in that
directory are owned by the directory owner?  If not, I'll have to script
something to change perms after uploads.

Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst