Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 23:48:50 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Nicolau Werneck <nwerneck@net.em.com.br>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: serial port LAN

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:34:47 -0300  "Nicolau Werneck" wrote:
 +------------------
 | Hello
 |
 | 	(translation: I have a great computer that has a modem and
 | ru(i)ns Win98, and i want to copy some 20 Mb from it to my 486
 | running FreeBSD. I'm wandering if I can do it with serial cables
 | connection, and, maybe, use it modem too!   wel, hope that
 | does'nt sound so confusing :Q )
 +------------------

Sure it is posable to do this.  There are several packages that
allow the Win98 machine to behave as a term server and a router.
But on the other hand you have everything you need in the FBSD box
(except the modem)

You need to read in the handbook (/usr/share/doc/handbook) about
attatching terminals to your FBSD system and about ppp on a dedecated
connection.    Then you can move your modem to the FBSD box and set it up
as a demand dialup router.

chris

--
    Chris Fedde