Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 19:30:56 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Pascal Hofstee <daeron@Wit401305.student.utwente.nl>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: softupdates in latest build?

At 7:05 PM +0200 1999/9/6, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Read /usr/src/COPYRIGHT.
>
> THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE REGENTS AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND
> ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
> IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
> ARE DISCLAIMED.

	And as any lawyer can tell you, this doesn't mean anything.  The
sharks are slobbering all over themselves to nail Microsoft over the
recent problems with hotmail, and FreeBSD Inc. could very easily be
setting themselves up for a similar lawsuit.  Especially since this
was a change that was not very widely announced (I sure didn't see
anything even in /usr/src/UPDATING, much less on any other web pages
or anything else I've read so far), and this is a negative change
from previous behaviour.

	Furthermore, this is built into the GENERIC kernel (and turned on
by default), and we all know that the vast majority of sites will
never figure out how to build their own kernel, nor will they have
any real use for this feature.

	Once on a box, it's trivially easy to get root.  In fact, with
various rootkits lying around, it's easy to do this programmatically
and gain root access to hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of
machines in just a few minutes.

	However, it might be a bit more difficult to script creating and
installing a new kernel to turn on the ability for people to do
password sniffing.  If this feature isn't enabled by default, you at
least have the chance that it would be more noticable for them to
build and install a new sniffing-capable kernel, and increase the
chance by just that smidgen more that people would actually see
anomolous behaviour when their machines are compromised, and
potentially be capable of preventing further damage to their networks
and systems.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.